Thursday, January 24, 2013

Krumkake Iron

Taken from www.pastrychef.com
The object is a krumkake iron, which is used for making krumkake, a Norwegian waffle cookie. I picked this object because I enjoy eating krumkake. Another reason I picked it is because my Grandmother gave a krumkake iron to my parents as a wedding present. My grandmother (I called her Baka) introduced me to Norwegian culture when I was very young. My Grandmother was part of the Norwegian ladies chorus. When I was nine years old my family toured Norway with her and met many of our relatives. She passed away when I was ten years old. The krumkake iron is important to me because it reminds me of my Grandmother.

A krumkake iron is a special decorative two-sided iron griddle, similar to a waffle iron. Older irons are used over the stove, but modern electric irons offer the convenience of non-stick surfaces, automatic timing, and multiple cakes per batch. Norwegians make krumkake for a dessert around Christmas time. It is also widely popular among Norwegian immigrants in the Midwest U.S.A., and of course in Ballard where the Norwegian population is high. It is fulfilling to me to make something from my Norwegian heritage with my own hands.

-Gates

No comments:

Post a Comment