Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Hardangersøm Embroidery

Hardangersom embroidery really fascinated me in my many trips to the Nordic Heritage Museum. Handangersom is weaved with either cotton or linen thread. In earlier centuries this type of needlework was named after the town in Norway in front of the Hardanger Fjord. The distinctive geographical location this embroidery came from really helped it create a unique style of its own: a more geometric inspired design. Hardangersom was first used on costumes and head coverings but soon became more common, appearing on pillows, curtains, tablecloths, napkins, and towels. This shows just how embedded Hardangersom is in the Nordic culture, through the production of this embroidery true to its original heritage and form.


My grandmother and great-grandmother are the people that make me interested in this type of embroidery and this part of my Nordic heritage. Both of them making wedding dresses, knitting, and doing beautiful needlepoint work has shown me that this is very important as well as beautiful to look at. Each culture/heritage has its own style. While they may be similar, they provide a sort of identity. That is why Hardangersom embroidery in the Nordic Heritage Museum interested me.

-Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment